Can Cats Get Parvo Or Distemper
Decrease in food intake.
Can cats get parvo or distemper. If these symptoms are occurring it is always recommended a vet be seen to determine with certainty if parvo is the underlying cause or not. The disease which is also sometimes referred to as Feline Parvovirus is a life-threatening and often fatal condition which affects cats. Feline distemper or panleukopenia is caused by a virus that almost every cat comes into contact with early in their life.
Do cats get parvo. Feline infectious enteritis feline distemper panleukopenia or cat plague are all common terms used to describe the infectious disease known as parvovirus. While cats and dogs cannot pass distemper to each other many wild animals can get one or both diseases.
The virus can also be passed on by humans who have not properly washed their hands after handling an infected cat or an infected cats belongings such as bedding dishes or grooming equipment. This vaccine is commonly referred to as a canine distemper vaccination so dont feel like youre missing out. Similar to the human flu virus distemper strains vary from year to year.
Fever is the usual first symptom of canine distemper virus although it usually goes unnoticed. Feline distemper can lead to anemia and paves the way for other bacterial or viral infections. The feline distemper vaccine can be administered to a kitten as young as 6 weeks old and is often repeatedly given until the kitten is 16 weeks old and then at regular intervals during their adult life.
Feline distemper is primarily caused by a single-strand DNA virus called feline parvovirus says Dr. The class of viruses called parvovirus causes both feline distemper and canine parvo diseases. Other sites call this feline distemper or feline infectious enteritis.
Depression cough and runny nose are usually present. BUT given that the canine strain is thought to be a mutation of feline parvo questions continue to surface as to whether or not cats are susceptible to contracting canine parvo or at least certain cats or certain strains. For example if a parvo outbreak in an animal shelter takes place there is the possibility of cross-contamination.
- Lab Puppies For Sale In East Texas
- Labradoodle Puppies Austin Texas
- Labradoodle Puppies Nappanee Indiana
- Labradoodle Puppies Houston Texas
- Lab Puppies For Sale In Nc Cheap
- Labradoodle Puppies Michigan Rescue
- Labradoodle Breeders In Oregon And Washington
- Lab Puppies For Sale In Iowa Craigslist
- Labradoodle Breeders In Oregon
- Lab Puppy Adoption Maryland
- Lab Puppies For Adoption In Wisconsin
- Lab Puppy Rescue Los Angeles
- Lab Puppies For Sale In Cleveland Ohio
- Labradoodle Puppies For Adoption Uk
- Lab Puppies For Sale In Knoxville Tn
- Lab Puppies For Sale In Northern California
- Lab Puppy Rescue Ohio
- Labradoodle Puppies For Sale Southern California
- Labrador Puppies Bend Oregon
- Lab Puppies For Sale In Michigan Under 200